Anti-viral Health Hacks
How It Works
1. Load up on foods and supplements rich in Vitamin C and Zinc - Research shows that vegans and vegetarians may need up to 50% more zinc in their diets to absorb what the body needs, according to Dr. Josh Axe. While 15 mg daily is the RDA, one of our respected physicians recommends 30 -50 mg 2 x daily for the first two days of cold. Eat a S#*%ton of "C" saturated foods like the obvious, citrus, but don't forget to consume the crucifers as they pack a bigger antioxidant punch. I'm a fan of powdered Vitamin C and Zinc 30 from Pure Encapsulations to mega-dose when needed. Great for colds as well as constipation! (Order Pure Encapsulations 10% client discount.)
2. Turmeric, Ginger and Manuka Honey - Undeniable synergy particularly when combined into a tincture, shot or tea. As I point out in my book, Vibrant Skin at Any Age, turmeric is 5-7 times stronger than Vitamin C.
3. Astralagus - An adaptogenic herb that fights stress and is recognized as one of the most powerful immune-building plants on the plant.
4. Oregano or Oil of Oregano - Over 800 scientific studies reference the power of carvacrol, the active ingredient in oregano, and its ability to reverse viral infections as well as allergies.
5. Elderberry - Fights infection including Influenza and bacterial infections. A staple in my new Anti-Viral Cleanse, this herb has been deemed as a safe and effective treatment for Influenza A & B by the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine.
6. Maitake Mushroom - aka The King of the Mushrooms is proven in its ability to inhibit the growth of cancer cells as well as provide a massive boost to the immune system.
7. Pre and Probiotics- 70% of our immunity is in the gut. Onions, green bananas, cold potatoes, leeks, kimchi, fermented miso, and super probiotic coconut yogurt help to balance the tens of billions of bacteria in our gut microbiota.
nor hard Somewhat
Fear-mongering is not my thing and the last thing I want to do is feed your fears or mine. However, let's not JUST put our heads in the sand, our faces in the false sense of security of a mask, and our hands in vats of anti-bacterial soap, and call it a day. According to Harvard Epidemiology Professor, Lipstick predicts that within the coming year, some 40 to 70 percent of people around the world will be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. But, he clarifies emphatically, this does not mean that all will have severe illnesses. “It’s likely that many will have mild disease, or may be asymptomatic,” he said. As with influenza, which is often life-threatening to people with chronic health conditions and of older age, most cases pass without medical care. (Overall, about 14 percent of people with influenza have no symptoms.)
BE PRO-ACTIVE - This is my self curated arsenal of anti-viral health hacks and supplements to support our immune systems.