Top 3 Reasons to Drink Filtered Water
How It Works
CHLORINE IMPACTS YOUR MICROBIOME
Chlorine is the main method of action for disinfecting our water supply to kill disease-causing pathogens such as bacteria, viruses, and protozoan. However the application of chlorine is not 100% effective. Disease-carrying microorganisms can still pollute our tap water, which can derive from the stool of infected animals or people. While chlorine disinfects our water, it also disinfects our body, killing both the good and bad microbes in your gut.
REMOVE UNREGULATED CHEMICALS
The Environmental Working Group has identified 316 chemicals in our tap water, 202 of which are not regulated. Let’s be real here, the only chemicals you really need in your water are hydrogen and oxygen to make H2O. Quality water filtration systems are designed to remove heavy metals, nitrates, prescription medications, hormones, chemical fertilizers, pesticide runoff and arsenic. How can your water really be clean with that inside?
FILTER OUR FLUORIDE
The form of fluoride in our water supply, in your toothpaste and at the dentist is not the same natural fluoride that our bodies require (in extremely trace amounts, by the way). We are ingesting fluoride compounds from many sources at a level that may not be safe for consumption . Studies indicate the potential harm of fluoride intake. Linked to brain damage and decreased IQ , lowered thyroid function , genetic damage , disruption of the collagen synthesis , and immune system dysfunction . If fluoride is in your water supply - ensure you choose a system that has the proper filtration to effectively remove fluoride.
CHOOSING A WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM
There are plenty of water filtration and purification systems available, from permanent instalments to portable counter-top filters. The most impressive unit is the Berkey. This counter-top filter is portable, and with the addition of the PF-2 filter, can also remove fluoride. The Berkey system removes or greatly reduce the following contaminants:
- Pathogenic bacteria and viruses
- Trihalomethanes (chemical compounds that can be formed when water is disinfected with chlorine)
- Inorganic minerals: chloramine, chloride, chlorine residual (total residual chlorine); free chlorine
- Heavy metals: aluminum, antimony, barium, beryllium, bismuth, cadmium, cobalt, chromium, chromium 6, copper, iron, lead, mercury, molybdenum, nickel, vanadium, zinc
- Microorganisms: total coliform, fecal coliform, e.coli
- Pharmaceutical drug contaminants: acetaminophen, caffeine, bisphenol A, progesterone, ibuprofen, naproxen sodium, triclosan, etc.
- Pesticides & volatile organic compounds
- Also removes or greatly reduces: arsenic, manganese, nitrites, PCB’s, petroleum products, selenium, rust, foul tastes and odors.
- Read the complete Berkey purification specifications
BERKEY VS BRITA
Each Berkey filter element has a life of just over 11,400 litres. For a family of four drinking 7.5 litres per day (8 cups per person), you would need to replace the filter every 4 years at the cost of $100 to $120 CAD.
Compare that to a Brita pitcher which needs a new filter every 150 litres. For a family of four drinking the same recommendation you would need to replace the filter every 20 days. With 18 filters a year at $8 each, you’re paying over $145 a year. A Brita filter also only reduces chlorine and other chemicals, it doesn’t remove them.
What You’ll Need
- Tap Water
- Berkey Water Filtration System
nor hard Somewhat
Water is essential for your body the function and thrive. Water is the major constituent of the human body: a building material, the medium for transporting oxygen, nutrients, electrolytes, hormones, and is essential for detoxification, flushing out toxins and waste. It’s important to hydrate your body, but just as we can choose to purchase organic and locally grown food to avoid synthetic pesticides and herbicides when we question what is really in our food. What is really in our water, is tap water the best way to hydrate, or should we filter our water?