Why You Need to Filter Your Water
How It Works
Although our tap water undergoes an essential disinfection process to destroy most harmful organisms like bacteria and parasites - chlorination of our water supply won’t eliminate all the bad guys (in fact, chlorine is even doing more harm by also killing the good microbes in your gut.
Below are some of the top contaminants that can make their way into our water:
- Disease-carrying germs can still pollute our tap water, which can be caused from the stool of infected animals or people.
- Homes built in the 70’s are also commonly equipped with lead and copper pipes, and with corrosion - unwanted lead and copper can also join the bad guy party with the harmful microbes in your tap water.
- Heavy metals, nitrates, prescription medications, hormones, chemical fertilizers, pesticide runoff, arsenic and fluoride are also present in our ‘clean’ water.
TOP 4 REASONS TO FILTER YOUR DRINKING WATER
Because your tap water is dirtier than it looks.
#1 CHLORINE IS HARMING YOUR MICROBIOME!
Chlorine is the main method of action for disinfecting our water supply to kill disease-causing pathogens, such as bacteria, viruses, and protozoan. But you know what, the chlorine is also disinfecting your body and killing off the good microbes in your gut. If you’ve taken part in my Guide to Better Digestion program, you will learn just how essential water filtration is if you’re looking to heal and repair your gut!
#2 REMOVE THE INFAMOUS CHEMICALS
The Environmental Working Group has identified 316 chemicals in Americas tap water, 202 of which are not regulated. Let’s be real here, the only “chemicals” you really need in your water are hydrogen and oxygen to make H2O! Proper water filtration systems can remove heavy metals, nitrates, prescription medications, hormones, chemical fertilizers, pesticide runoff and arsenic. How can your water really be ‘clean’ with all that inside?
#3 PEACE OUT FLUORIDE
The form of fluoride in our water supply, in your toothpaste and at the dentist is not the same natural fluoride that our bodies require (in extremely trace amounts, by the way). We are ingesting fluoride compounds from many sources at a level that are truly not safe for consumption  (NOT nutritionist approved!). Studies are now showing serious harm with even minuscule amounts of fluoride intake. Fluoride intake is being linked to brain damage and decreased IQ, lowered thyroid function, genetic damage and cell death, disruption of the synthesis of collagen, immune system dysfunction and many other damaging health effects! If fluoride is in your water supply - ensure you choose a system that has the proper filtration to effectively remove fluoride.
#4 SAVE YOUR MONEY
Daily water requirements for a family of four (8 glasses/64 ounces) equates to 7.5 lites. If your water comes from a 12-ounce plastic bottle, you are approximately paying $6 per case of water (fancy water can be much more), at around $0.40 per bottle you’re looking at an annual cost of $3,114.67.
$0.40 per bottle x 5.3 bottles per person = $2.13
x 4 people = $8.53
x 365 (days in a year)
MEET THE BERKEY
While there are many different types of water filtration/purification systems, one of my favourite countertop units is the Berkey. This water purification system has been tested and confirmed to remove or greatly reduce the following contaminants:
- Pathogenic Bacteria
- Trihalomethanes (chemical compounds that can be formed when water is disinfected with chlorine)
- Inorganic Minerals: Chloramine; Chloride; Chlorine Residual (Total Residual Chlorine); Free Chlorine
- Heavy Metals: Aluminum, Antimony, Barium, Beryllium, Bismuth, Cadmium, Cobalt, Chromium, Chromium 6, Copper, Iron, Lead, Mercury, Molybdenum, Nickel, Vanadium, Zinc
- Microorganisms: Total Coliform, Fecal Coliform, e.Coli
- Pharmaceutical Drug Contaminants: Acetaminophen, Caffeine, Bisphenol A, Progesterone, Ibuprofen,Naproxen Sodium, Triclosan, etc.
- Pesticides & Volatile Organic Compounds
- Also removes/reduces: Arsenic, Manganese, Nitrites, PCB’s, Petroleum Products, Selenium, Rust, Foul Tastes and Odors.
- Read the complete Berkey purification specs
While Berkey has a higher upfront cost than less effective filtration options such as Brita (which removes almost nothing), the Berkey is lower maintenance than pitcher models!
Not to mention, if you give up the plastic water bottles, you are decreasing your annual household waste by 4,380 plastic bottles.
DON’T FORGET YOUR MINERALS
One final step to keep in mind is that while filtration/purification systems are effective at removing everything that you don’t want in your water, they also remove some things that you do want - this being beneficial minerals; like calcium and magnesium.
If you’re an avid holisticole blog reader, may have already heard me boast about Concentrace before... This trace mineral supplement is one of my top recommendations. Super-concentrated with over 72 essential and trace minerals. Just simply add a few drops to your reusable water bottle (with your filtered water) or cooking - to ensure you are not missing out!
Benefits of Concentrace include:
- Strong bones, joints and teeth (don’t miss this Functional Food for Joint Pain)
- Electrolyte replacement: increased energy and vitality by balancing soluble minerals in the body fluids.
- Maintain pH balance
- Healthy hair and skin
- Supports Better Digestion
- Calcium assimilation - Concentrace is high in magnesium which aids in calcium absorption
- Circulatory health - minerals play a vital role in decalcification, antioxidant support and cleansing!
- Vitamin enhancement - trace minerals help to assimilate vitamins
nor hard Somewhat
Water is a major constituent in your blood, supporting the transport of oxygen, nutrients, electrolytes and hormones. It’s also a player in system detoxification - water is imperative for keeping things moving while also flushing out toxins and waste.
Despite the human bodies ever-growing need for water, you'd think we would function more like a camel. Instead, many of us silently struggle to maintain a healthy hydration level, as a significant amount of water is lost each day.
In order for your body to function, you need at least 8-12 cups (2-3 litres) each day - and this is just for basic function - if you’re exercising, are looking to improve your health and support healthy detoxification - you’re going to need much, much more.
But water is for more than just drinking to keep you hydrated and functioning, you’re also using it to cook and clean yourself and your house with.
So drinking water is essential, but i’ve got a question.
HOW ‘CLEAN’ IS YOUR WATER?
If you don’t know the answer to that, your steps towards proper hydration may be doing more harm than good…
In the case of tap water, quality is going to vary from city-to-city (and country-to-country) but what I want you to remember is:
JUST BECAUSE OUR TAP WATER IS TREATED FOR OUR SAFETY,
DOES NOT MEAN TAP WATER SHOULD BE CONSIDERED AS ‘CLEAN’.
(Don’t worry, I will expand on this).
What about bottled water? More sad news: brands like Nestle (Pure Life), Pepsi (Aquafina), Coca Cola(Dasani/SmartWater) and Fiji do not really care about your health or hydration level, they’re just profiting off the fact that humans need water to survive. I should also mention that 25% of bottled water is really just tap water in a bottle, sometimes further treated, sometimes not.
Much of the water that corporations sell is obtained from public water sources for next to nothing. In Canada, many provinces now require bottlers to obtain permits to extract this water, but they charge very little for the privilege (in some cases, a corporation can pay just $3.71 for every million litres). Until recently, British Columbia did not regulate the use of industrial groundwater and they allowed estlé to extract millions of litres a year from a well in Hope, British Columbia - for free.